Saturday 28 May 2016

Kienyeji eggs with white yolks

-I have been feeding my kienyeji chicken with layers mash. I recently supplied the eggs to one of the supermarkets but later the manager told me they will be buying my eggs at a lower price since they are similar to the ordinary layers eggs because they lack the yellow yolk as other kienyeji eggs.
-He then advised me to stop feeding the chicken on layers mash if I want them to produce kienyeji eggs. What should -I feed my chicken to get high quality kienyeji eggs?
-Does layers mash reduce the eggs quality? What are the characteristics of quality kienyeji eggs?

Kienyeji eggs are known for their deep-yellow yolk because of their diet, which is heavily dependent on scavenged feed resources, that is the green leafy feeds. The green feeds contain carotenoids, substance that is responsible for the yolk colour.

Birds that feed on maize (or yellow maize), alfalfa (lucerne) or grass meals will often lay deep-yellow yolked eggs, those on wheat or barley diet will lay light-yellow yolked eggs while those on high cotton seed cake diet will have greenish yolked eggs.

For birds fed on formulated feeds, the difference comes in because the carotenoid content in feed sources such as maize maybe weakened or lost when used in rations.

It is important to note that the yolk colour does not affect the nutritive value of the eggs since it’s just a reflection of whether carotenoids are present or not.

Source: Daily Nation
Like our Facebook page: Greenfarm Organics
Follow us on Twitter: @nicokirui1

No comments:

Post a Comment